Thursday 5 July 2012

Well whaddya know?

I did something last night that I haven't done in a really long time.  Like I mean a r.e.a.l.l.y. long time!  I ran on my treadmill.  I know, I can hardly believe it myself!  It's a  'stop the press!' kind of revelation really, isn't it?
Me and my treadmill, we have a spotty history.  We bought it about 3 years ago and for the first 6 months, I used that thing religiously.  Every other night I'd get the kids into bed and then I'd go downstairs to our basement (which is unfinished and looks like a department store has thrown up in.) and I'd run for 30 - 40 minutes.  Slowly but surely, my dedication to the evening runs started to wane and my inclination to laziness took over.
In an attempt to kick my lazy butt into high gear, I let my bestie talk me into signing up for my first 1/2 marathon.  She hooked me up with a training schedule and we vowed to do every long run together on Sunday mornings.  All I had to do was do the 'little' runs in-between on my own.  HA!  Somehow I almost always made it to Sunday with only doing maybe one of my scheduled runs through the week.  Suffice it to say, we completed that 1/2 marathon, not well, but we crossed the finish line together feeling like we'd (well, I) had done something really big!  My bestie kept reminding me that just being out there was more than many others would ever do, but my competitive side kept nagging with her finger waving saying 'if you're not going to do it well, don't do it at all!'  It was hard to tune her out sometimes!
With a 1/2 under my belt, I decided that maybe it was better to focus on smaller runs and build up to the 1/2.  So last summer instead of signing up for another 1/2 I signed up for two 10 k's, and dreamed of crossing the finish lines strong and smiling.  Maybe I should have channeled that dream when running those races, huh?  Again, I finished my last race and vowed that I was going to train and be ready for the next one.
So, here I am, 6 weeks away from a 15 k (I know, CrAzY sauce, right?) with barely a run under my belt.  Well, this circus train is coming to a full blown stop and I'm doing a re-org of my priorities.  And last night was my first step towards that happening.
I stepped on that treadmill last night not sure how it was going to feel.  I went for a run last week and barely made it to 1.5 miles before I felt like I was going to die, but last night I had a feeling - no, not like I was going to throw up, but just a feeling like I could do it if I really wanted to, but that I was the only one who could make it happen.  So, I ran.  I ran and I watched the numbers get bigger on the display.  10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes...48 minutes later I pressed stop and I think I could have even gone a bit further if I'd really wanted to!  I know, I know, running on a treadmill is nothing like running outside, but for now, I'll take 48 minutes of constant motion because that 48 minutes is more than I did the day before!
Today, I'm going to try and get 3.5 in after baseball.  That's what's on the schedule for today and from here on out, the schedule is in charge, not me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I love getting cyber love!